Finally! I am back to blogging. Sorry again for the big unannounced break. I have no good excuses, just laziness.
As you all know - we have been blessed with tons of visitors. One of the best tourist attractions in Tokyo is the Tsukiji Fish Market. Tsukiji is considered the breadbasket of Tokyo - it is the wholesale market where fisherman bring their catch for grocery stores and restaurants to stock up for the day.
The best time to be at the fish market is definitely early in the morning. As luck would have it, with the time difference, most of our visitors were early early risers for those first few days. Tsukiji, therefore, was a popular "first" destination.
Tuna is one of the most popular fishes at the market. Because Japan brings some of the highest prices per pound for tuna, fishermen worldwide ship tuna to Tsukiji to be auctioned. There are two auctions each morning - the fresh tuna and the frozen tuna. Only the frozen tuna auction is open to the public.
Frozen Tuna
Various fish for sale
Fresh Tuna
Tuna Head (they are BIG!)
Various crab
Packaging tuna for sale
Tuna flanks
Butchering the Tuna








2 comments:
Those fish are huge! Wow! I didn't know that about the prices either. Its so funny how some cultures are so heavily into fish, and others (like Germany,) will really only eat it breaded and fried- bleh!
For some reason hearing the Tsukiji stop being announced always made me and my co-worker laugh. After three weeks of hearing "ski-gee, ski-gee", we managed to visit on our last day in town. It was pretty cool - I was shocked at how big the fish were. I'm so jealous of you two!
Post a Comment