Last night I had a work dinner - it was held at Isegen, a restaurant known for serving anko. The restaurant is housed in a historic Tokyo building, one of the only buildings to survive World War II.
The menu is a traditional Japanese menu, and focuses on anko. Our dinner consisted of 11 courses, including sashimi, Japanese pickles and, of course, anko. The main course is nabe style - or in a hot pot. There were burners on the table, and pots of anko, vegetables, tofu and noodles were boiled in front of us. A particular specialty was the anko liver, which is eaten cold, in the style of fois gras, with warm sake.
So, what is anko, you ask? Well, anko is anglerfish. It's considered a delicacy in Japan, and very healthy because it has lots of gelatin....all I can say is, I'm really glad they didn't have a fish tank out front! 
2 comments:
Um... yummy? ;) hehe. I think T.J.'s going to want to pass on that one!
I hope they taste better than they look!
What a cool dinner though :)
Post a Comment