Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Travel with your pets!

Not only were there a ton of people in Nikko the other weekend, but there were also a ton of pets. People in Japan love their pets - especially dogs.

I have a theory that as children become more and more expensive to raise, and, let's face it - the Japanese salaryman lifestyle doesn't exactly accommodate children very easily - more and more couples in Japan are pouring their nurturing tendencies into their dog(s). Dogs get pampered, dressed up, and even pushed around in their own strollers.


(photo from here)

And, if you are going to take a trip to Nikko to soak up the Autumnal atmosphere, you don't want to leave your precious pooch at home!
Here are some of the pampered pets we saw on our trip. I usually try to photograph from far away (you know, so I don't look like a stalkerish creep or something), so you might need to click the picture to enlarge to get the full effect.

This little fellow was enjoying the temples in Nikko from the comfort of a sling. It keeps him warm and secure, right next to "daddy" and out of harms way.


This "mommy" was taking a break at a temple with two of her "babies." Also in slings, these little guys were really enjoying people watching.

This family of 5 pulled out all the stops. With two dogs and a cat (yes, a cat), they were enjoying the waterfall in Chuzenji. After taking this picture, I actually chatted with them a little bit. I didn't realize the cat was with them until they introduced me! The cat was a gorgeous orange Persian with impeccable behavior. He let me scratch his head before "mommy" and "daddy" lifted him up to look at the falls. A stroller made their trip easier, and was equipped with a super absorbent pad in case of an accident.


Now, if only those strollers came equipped with a little heater, I bet Nola would agree to come on vacation with us too!

No comments: